Muzzy reports?

Discussion in 'Ohio Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Dissident, Jan 7, 2017.

1. WD40

WD40
    Expand Collapse

I watched six does (no horns anyways) for the last hour of daylight. None really offered a good shot so I just watched them. If I don't go out tomorrow it was a nice hunt to end my season with.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    ohihunter2014 likes this.
  2. Tucky

Tucky
    Expand Collapse

1st Muzzleloader buck @ 90 yards with my new TC pro hunter.

Attached Files:

Nimrod, Wildlife, Randall and 4 others like this.
  3. wing shooter

wing shooter
    Expand Collapse

Nice buck Tucky I love the mad trapper hat as well congrats

Tucky likes this.
  4. Tucky

Tucky
    Expand Collapse

Thanks wing shooter. Love that hat. The rabbit fur keeps the cold out and it never hurts that it looks good..

bluedog likes this.
  5. knightfan

knightfan
    Expand Collapse

True... With all the variations in bullet weight and powder possibilities it would be almost impossible to have a large sample size with every possible load. If you shoot a 300gr +bullet with 120+gr of powder that thing will go through just about anything.. I just like to keep my should intact.. lol... To each their own.

6. Wildlife

Wildlife
    Expand Collapse

Good bye snow, hello warm wind. Definitely a great day to fly a kite! 46 degrees and 30+ mph wind gust from the south this afternoon for my last sit with the Muzzleloader by my side hoping that I'll get lucky. Haven't heard or seen anyone else hunting in the area, which doesn't hurt my feelings. Harvested my biggest buck at the end of a warm gusty day. Certainly would be nice to have it happen again. :)

2017-01-10 14.36.05.jpg

bluedog and ohihunter2014 like this.
  7. Wildman18

Wildman18
    Expand Collapse

I missed two yesterday and 2 today. I shot at a target and in shooting 12 inches high.

Moral of the story...... Shoot it to make sure your weapon is sited in.

8. Blueump

Blueump
    Expand Collapse

Well my grandson Jordan and I hunted Sat - Mon. We saw a total of3 does walking across the field on the private land side and kicked up a solitary doe on our way to a stand. It's the time together that counts!

9. bywayofthearrow

bywayofthearrow
    Expand Collapse

6 does, 2 does and a nice 2 yo buck this afternoon on public. My buddy's reasoning for not pulling the trigger, he's holding out! Lol he punched a tag on a big doe already and said his remaining tag is for a mature buck or he eats it. My hat was off. All the deer were on the top of north slopes just out of the south wind. We still hunted the upper 1/3 on a cross wind and had no trouble glassing them.

bluedog likes this.
  10. bluedog

bluedog
    Expand Collapse

The deer were definitely pushed around a bit and off their normal pattern Sat and Sun. Tonight there were hints of returning to pattern. 6 deer in the back of our big field right before 5:30pm. Right where Mr bluedog was sitting last night. Hehehe! He sat there one day too early. :)

To further the conversation of muzzleloaders and blood trails, I have some stats on the deer I shot last night. 40yd shot. Double lung above the heart. Entry just behind the shoulder on the left side. I was sitting on the ground so exit was slightly higher on the right side. The deer ran 75yds. No blood for the 1st 20yds or the last 20yds. Bullet .50cal 250gr PowerBelt Aerolite and using 100gr pyrodex pellets. Pictures in order: 1.) Entry wound (a little hard to see, just behind shoulder), 2.) Exit wound, 3.) Blood trail at its heaviest. The blood trail wasn't much but it was some. I switched from the regular PowerBelts to the Aerolites 3 years ago. Once again very small data group but this bullet gave at least some blood trail which is more than I ever had with regular PowerBelts. Also the exit was bigger than the entrance. The deer I shot in years prior with the regular PB all had similar size entrance and exit wounds. For whatever any of this is worth. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. ohihunter2014

ohihunter2014
    Expand Collapse

I would have loved that blood trail Saturday. Not a speck on the snow other than where he fell down on a slight hill and that was more a rub than drip. honestly thought I missed. going to play with the harvester sabots and multiple bullet combos this summer and see what shoots good and maybe make some homemade ballistic gel and see what they do. and great job on your buck!

12. catchdog

catchdog
    Expand Collapse

bluedog , thanks for the kill shot pics and info . but I would like to see the head gear . And I don't care if it's small or not .

bluedog and BillsCustomCalls like this.
  13. bluedog

bluedog
    Expand Collapse

Well buttons really don't show well in a photo. LOL He was good sized for his age. Probably field dressed weighed around 100 pounds or maybe a little more. Thus the advantage of shooting buttons late in the season. I shot a doe once that had twins with her and she field dressed at 105 lbs (if I'm remembering correctly ). She was in good body condition too. I figured she was probably one of those small percentage of doe fawns that get bred and have twins.

ohihunter2014 likes this.
  14. knightfan

knightfan
    Expand Collapse

With all that muzzleloader experience, I would think you would know to do this before shooting at an animal.. :rolleyes:

ya13ya03 likes this.
  15. LouisvilleDeerHunter

LouisvilleDeerHunter
    Expand Collapse

"The blood trail wasn't much but it was some. I switched from the regular PowerBelts to the Aerolites 3 years ago. Once again very small data group but this bullet gave at least some blood trail which is more than I ever had with regular PowerBelts. Also the exit was bigger than the entrance. The deer I shot in years prior with the regular PB all had similar size entrance and exit wounds. For whatever any of this is worth. :) " - bluedogs post cut down

This brings up an interesting theory ive been kicking around...I think in our quest for faster velocities and moa accuracy, we loose rapid expansion and just blunt force trauma of a slower,heavier bullet.....my xbow shooting 370fps with a mechanical head left me almost no bloodtrail because the entry hole were so small....he dropped in 40yds but i had to grid search....I started shooting round balls out of my muzzy and I hit a doe during gun season-she rolled over as the ball hit her from the impact and was down...she was crushed....

I wonder if we can get too fast for proper energy transfer before the bullet has exited the animal....ive found mostly intact poly tipped muzzy bullets at the range in the dirt without much deformity...just a thought

#75 LouisvilleDeerHunter, Jan 11, 2017 at 8:45 AM
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017 at 8:53 AM