Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

Multiple topics in one post...

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  cowboyruggee 
#1 ·
Title says it all! I didn't want to make ten different post and I'm kinda looking for answers/help/tips and tricks on a few things.

Tonight I went below the spillway at Paint Creek… My luck around this area has been kicking my butt! So I dedicated this evening/tonight to try and catch a couple cold water cats. Finally, I got some action! Never landed one, but I had a number of takers, and three good hook ups. One got snagged up on something and the line broke, the other two I'm not real sure what happened. All three were pulling drag on my 30lb test… I think I've about given up on trying to catch anything else out of there...

On my way home I kinda took the back way and followed the park around. Counted 49 deer, in/around the park. Honestly thats not very good in comparison to what I normally see around there. The shocker was there was two still holding both sides! The other thing that kinda surprised me was the number of deer I seen by themselves. Whats up with that? Running low on food sources so they are venturing out from the safety groups? None of the deer by themselves were big bodied, I'd call them normal to small.

Earlier today I attempted to find some sheds out back, with no luck. I finally stepped foot into the bedding area too. I found a skull that took me a while to figure out what it came from, lol. It was a pig head! I also found a large number of active holes in the ground. Look to be occupied by ***** mostly. Found some more big cedar tree's all torn up. Two of them had thin, wavy, light brown fur on it? With a very soft pile of scat near by. Tons of bird feathers all over the place, even a pile of turkey feathers! I'll post pics from my phone on another post. I've got a blurry pic from my trail cam that looks like a small coyote grabbing a **** also. Do ***** scratch/mark trees? Looks more like fox fur to me, but not 6' off the ground… I think I might move my cam to see whats going on. Just means more traffic in an area I don't want to be in. Plus my cam is kinda junk and will only take a pic if something is within 8'! Couldn't find any solid tracks of anything. Ground is basically beat down from whatever it is taking the same path every time.

See less See more
#2 ·
Brown Twig Wood Natural landscape Trunk

Brown Plant Wood Branch Trunk

Brown Twig Wood Trunk Tree

Twig Terrestrial animal Grass Wood Groundcover
Plant community Plant Brown bear Carnivore Natural landscape

I don't think he came off my wall and did this, then put himself back on the wall. lol

Attachments

#5 ·
It could well be a scratching post made by a bobcat & the fur looks correct also. They get their share of birds which could explain all the feathers, but the pig skull, you're on your own.
Lol. pig skull is domestic and has a nice hole in the middle of it's head. Bobcat seems to be a good guess, but I'm not sold on it. Only ever found one good set of cat tracks on the creek bank and my rabbit population is pretty strong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.