Votes: 4 6.1%
  • others

Votes: 7 10.6%

Favorite Fish to Fish for?

5K views 71 replies 35 participants last post by  CritterGitter 
#1 ·
What is your favorite fish to fish for?

#54 ·
That's what i'm talking about. Nothing compares to it! Just fishing on the Yellowstone River or the Madison river w/ all the mountains around is awesome.

#56 ·
When I visit my siste & brother-in-law in Montana I usually fish the Madison River cause its like right out their door, but have fished the Yellowstone and a few small streams that branch off the madison. I found those smaller streams are better fishing than the fast water of the river. I haven't made it to a mountain lake yet. They have one up behind their house that I want to hit sometime. The brother-in-law says you can go ny horseback most of the way and then hike the rest. He said we could take a tent and stay over for the night. Thast would be a blast. I hope he has time this summer cause I would love to do that.

#58 ·
Sounds fun huh? The brother-in-law never has time when we go out to visit. He traps Grizzly Bear for a living and is always on some trapping excursion somewhere in the mountains. Someday i'll get up there and fish that lake.

#62 ·
Personally I like wading for smallmouths with a fly rod or ultralight rod and reel with 4lb test. Its relaxing and they sure out up a fight.

#63 ·
I'd have to vote for walleye,saugeye. Bass a close second. The past couple years though bass has taken a further second due to me honing in my skills as a top notch eye fisherman. Is the saugeye fishing in southern Ohio that much different than in NW Ohio? We mostly find sauigeyes a little shallower than the walleye and usually more agressive. Just don't travel that much for fishing due to good success around here. I'd like to here some imput if it is different.

#64 ·
Redhunter I see your claim as a top notch walleye fisherman. I had good luck fishing for them when living in NE PA, and success on the Maumee River (I dont consider it real walleye fishing), but I am having limited sucess here in Ohio. One of the problems is I dont have a boat, or a good friend with a boat (He moved to Florida, lucky SOB), and I cant afford a boat since I will be attending school for my Masters Degree in the Fall. I am a pretty competent fisherman, I own quality gear, fish 4-8 Lb test almost exclusively, but most of my fishing is limited to fishing from the shoreline. I have always been enthralled with the walleye, so what advice can you give me for fishing for them from now until mid-summer, what to use (lures,tackle,bait,colors), and what kind of spots to look for when fishing from a shoreline. I am not afraid to go the extra mile, I dont need to fish right near a road.The closest walleye waters to me are ceasar creek, and CJ Brown reservoir.Any help would be appreciated........Thanks.

#65 ·
I'm not claiming to be great by no means but we usually get fish every time we go out. We pick up alot of saugeye and walleye from the shore. At findlay and fostoria resevoirs we'll fish on the wind blown shorelines with 1/4 oz chartreuse jigs or purple sometimes and have alot of success. Most our shore fishing occurs frome around the 3rd week in april until approximately mid may. The maumee river is full of walleye right now. I try to update the river report as much as possible. We fish McComb resevoir #2 from the North shore year round with road runners, small rattle traps, crainkbaits, and jig heads and usually pull a good number of keeper saugeye out with some big bonus crappie. I'll post when we start after the walleye and saugeye from the shore. I don't know if you could, but you'd be more than welcome to come up and fish the shores with me. The only time I fish from a boat is when my dad gives me a jingle. I have no boat either, yet.

#66 ·
I really appreciate the info, I use some of the same lures that you are using, I just cant seem to connect.I concentrate on fairly windy days with an overcast sky, maybe I am just not being patient enough.

#67 ·
The best advice I can give you is listen to some of the guys on here. Everybody will let you know where to go and how to get them. Patience is the key with shore fishing. alot of times we'll fish for hours with no luck then catch a limit of fish in mere minutes. I guess alot of times it's more luck than sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.