CRP open enrollment till Feb 26th

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by medicsnoke, Jan 15, 2016.

1. medicsnoke

medicsnoke
    Expand Collapse

From my experience, nothing draws big bucks to a property more than warm season grasses provided by a Conversation Reserve Program (CRP). When I bought my farm in 2011, it was the first program I went after but was soon shot down because of "lack of farming history". So for the last 5 years I've rented the cropping rights with the intent of enroll my tillable ground into CRP as soon as I could. Then the farm bill crashed in 2014 and the USDA went stagnant.

Today I stopped by the local NSDA office and inquired about the program for 2016 and was pleasantly surprised the program is back up with funds and accepting applications. I started the paper work with my local office and finger crossed all goes well in the flowing months. I encourage anyone that was thinking about CRP or wondered what they could do to improve their property to at at least inquire. Deadline is Feb. 26th but it will take some time to get all the forms completed….so get on it.

USDA web page with info:
    https://www.fsa.usda.gov/programs-a...n-programs/conservation-reserve-program/index

Here is one of many sets of sheds I've found in CRP! Nothing better for big bucks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. ohiosam

ohiosam
    Expand Collapse
    Mod

I've heard of some numbers that a pretty tempting on a couple small fields I have.

3. bywayofthearrow

bywayofthearrow
    Expand Collapse

What are the benefits of going with the crp program vs planting your own fields? They provide some funds but that comes with restrictions correct?

4. medicsnoke

medicsnoke
    Expand Collapse

You get paid!

I could plant my 38 acres all on my own (rotate crops and go broke if they failed and I never got a harvest) or plant 38 acres of switch but I wouldn't get a paycheck. CRP gets my farm great habitat for all species, great cover, some food and a paycheck more than likely bigger than renting my ground for farming.

They also split start up fee's 50/50 also known as cost share.

Restrictions……..you have to mow every 2 or 3 years and keep thistles in check.

I picked a 5 seed variety for my farm. It will be 3 switch grasses, a clover and a alfalfa or fescue.

Wildman18 likes this.
  5. medicsnoke

medicsnoke
    Expand Collapse

One more thing, in my case/my farm……I have 38 acres that is currently being farmed but only 28 qualifies for CRP…..so I'll have 10 acres to plant my own food plots. Ive done the math and I should still get more money per year then I currently get for farming. Its a no brainer for me.

RMK likes this.
  6. Wildman18

Wildman18
    Expand Collapse

Crp fields are great for hunting and over all wildlife... I could think if a few more things/seeds to add to it though...

Down side to CRP fields is tracking a arrowed Deer in it!!! Lol

7. RMK

RMK
    Expand Collapse

just got roughly 15 acres planted in warm season grasses last week, and another 10 or so in cool season grasses.... cant wait!

8. medicsnoke

medicsnoke
    Expand Collapse

I was selected/approved for a CRP contract. I feel very fortunate to have a great soil and water department in Fairfield County. Statewide only like 23 plans were approved, 13 of them wrote by our counties agent. 7 in Fairfield and 6 in Perry. Next step is drafting a plan....that will happen later this fall. If anyone has seed suggestions feel free to post them up.

RMK likes this.
  9. robert anglin

robert anglin
    Expand Collapse

I have 24 acres in CRP planted in quail habitat , no quail but habitatI have to mow it every year but it pays well the contract was for 15 years I have 7 left! The deer and turkeys love it even tho they are not quail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

medicsnoke likes this.
  10. bywayofthearrow

bywayofthearrow
    Expand Collapse

Do you have any updates on your CRP? What and how the planting happens and so forth? Do you know how many people applied? 23 doesn't sound like very many but I have no clue how popular the program is in Ohio.

11. medicsnoke

medicsnoke
    Expand Collapse

So I'm in contract. I'll plant in May I believe. I have a 30 day window to plant. I have a species list at home but couldn't tell you what they are off top of my head. If I remember correct, my soil and water rep said she wrote 30 proposals and 17 were accepted between Perry and FF county. I'm excited to get things going. I'll hit you up in May for some help planting.

12. bywayofthearrow

bywayofthearrow
    Expand Collapse

I'm in! The experience on the planting equipment will come in hand soon enough. Gladly would take plenty of before and after photos that I'm sure you could find a use for. I'm antsy as heck right now waiting for the right job opportunity to open up to make a move to our own farm from the burbs east of Cbus. Hope to follow in your footsteps, though our realities won't allow for as much ground to stretch our legs on. My research says I should be able to find something for our own enjoyment and use at the very least. Hope to make up for quantity in quality. I'm very curious what support getting a contract comes with as far as successfully establishing the intended plants. Also curious what herbicides are allowed or not allowed. I've read a good application of a pre emergent herbcide is key to establishing NWSGs the first year, though I know the CRP blends might not all be suitable for that. Conversation for another day, get ahold of me when the time rolls around!

#12 bywayofthearrow, Jan 15, 2017 at 7:53 PM
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017 at 8:15 PM
  13. bywayofthearrow

bywayofthearrow
    Expand Collapse

Do some searches for establishing native grasses by the late Paul Knox "Dbletree". The info he put out on the web on the topic is enough to read for days straight.

Someone created the below website with some of the basic info but google searches pull up the good stuff from the Iowa forums that he regularly shared his knowledge on. I haven't seen better info on NWSG than some of those post he started on the subject.
    http://www.outreachoutdoors.com/foodplots/switchgrass/

14. medicsnoke

medicsnoke
    Expand Collapse

Paul was a wealth of knowledge. I chatted with him for a couple hours years ago at a Iowa deer classic and I reference his material on IW every planting season. He once told me that a university wrote the "Bible" on planting WSG but can't remember who it was....maybe Kansas? Good burn down is the most certain biggest planting key. The 25 acres I'll be planting will be going into a cut corn field. It already has a decent lack of vegetation but it will get sprayed twice in the spring before planting. I'll hit you up when the ball starts rolling this spring.

15. bywayofthearrow

bywayofthearrow
    Expand Collapse

That's awesome you got to chat with him!
    Found the write up I was thinking of by him on the iowawhitetail forum:

https://iowawhitetail.com/forum/threads/switchgrass.13575/